Code Review - SQL and Insertion Attacks (Warning: Not for Newbs)


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Hey guys,

Its been a while, I know. Use to love coming here to answer peoples questions, but work and school have been keeping me too busy but do anything but lurk. I usually write all my code/apps by hand and over the past couple years created a common set of PHP functions that I implement on every site. This code continues to grow, and may become a framework one day (http://ryan.crawford.com/framework/default/). I wanted to present some of the crux functions for your consideration. Specifically I'd like to know what your best practices are in relation to preventing SQL insertion attacks, looking at the functions I use to control it:

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
Code: private $chars = array(
";" => "{00sc}", "'" => "{01sq}",
"!" => "{02ex}", "$" => "{03dl}",
"%" => "{04pr}", "<" => "{05ls}",
">" => "{06gt}", "=" => "{07eq}",
"&" => "{08an}", "#" => "{09pd}",
"," => "{10cm}", "/" => "{11fs}",
"*" => "{12as}", "\"=> "{13bs}"
);

/*
* Func: inject($str) - aptly named :)
* Desc: We'll be the only people doing SQL injection here
*/
function inject($str) {
return str_replace(array_keys($this->chars),
array_values($this->chars),$str);
}

/*
* Func: extract($str)
* Desc: Opposite of inject
*/
function extract($str) {
$str = str_replace(array_values($this->depc),
array_keys($this->depc),$str);

return str_replace(array_values($this->chars),
array_keys($this->chars),$str);
}

/*
* Func: query($query_data)
* Desc: Make a query on the database (SELECT)
* Note: If a log directory is defined, we will track queries
*/
function query($qdata) {
$result = mysql_query($qdata) or die("
Query: ".$qdata."

Issue: " . mysql_error());

// set the condition for the switch statement
$c = substr($qdata,0,strpos($qdata,' '));

if($c == "DELETE"||$c == "INSERT"||$c == "UPDATE") {
if(is_dir($this->cfg['logdir']))
$this->logLine($qdata,$this->cfg['qlog']);
return true;
}
if(mysql_num_rows($result)==0)
return false;

while($line = mysql_fetch_array($result,MYSQL_ASSOC)) {
$array_result[]=$this->extract($line);
}
return $array_result;
}

/*
* Func: iquery($array,$table)
* Desc: Insert data into the db(using just $_POST)
*/
function iquery($arr,$table) {
if(!$dataArr = $this->againstTable($arr,$table))
return false;
$n = 1;
// Loop to create SQL query
foreach($dataArr as $key => $value) {
$insertNames .= (sizeof($dataArr)==$n)? $key : $key.",";
$insertValues.= (sizeof($dataArr)==$n)? "'".$value."'" : "'".$value."',";
$n++;
}
$this->query("INSERT INTO ".$table." (".$insertNames.") VALUES (".$insertValues.");");
}


Basically, if you look at the array $chars, for inserted data I am searching for the keys and converting them to the values before insertion. It is a function I run all my inserts through. The query() function is what I do all my SELECTS with and it converts the characters back (the inject function encrypts, extract decrypts for lack of a better term). These are written object oriented so I still have access to PHP's extract if ever needed.

Question now being, what do you think of the effectiveness of this technique in terms of protecting against SQL injection? Are there ways to beat it? Are there better methods? Is this efficient? I'm not sure what algorithm PHP is using for str_replace, but the best ones don't run any faster than O(n). I don't think this runs any worse.
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
197 Like 45 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Where am I going wrong
Been trying to work this out for hours

I have two tables called 'Genres' and 'Films'. Genre

Stats of viewers
Hello. I have a website in php and people can login. I want to make an admin control panel where u c

Dynamic Array using glob?
Is there an easier way to do this?

I am trying to get create a dyamic array based on files wi

Variable passed to each() is not an array or object
Hi,

This is a email a friend type of form, and it isn't working anymore.

<?

Strip Slashes Help
I've got a script that i've downloaded of the net to edit multiple fields from my sql database, and

MYSQL INSERT ID NOT WORKING
Code: $id = mysql_insert_id();
header("Location: ./?view=$id");
Why $id pulling blan

Help with captcha script needed
Hello,

I am working on a script where reCAPTCHA or a similar form of CAPTCHA will be used, f

Ball movement
I want to move a ball from one point to another and it should hit a group of balls at the other end

List/Menu Box
On an edit page when you want something to select what a user has previously selected from the datab

How to use Substr
I want to check for the word CATEGORY: inside a string which can be CATEGORY: ITEM
and remove the

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash