Confusing Functions


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

So, I've been reading up on Functions and I like them! However, I need some help using variables in functions, since it's kind of confusing.

I just made these functions:

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
<?php

function Protect($var){
$var = mysql_real_escape_string(htmlentities(stripslashes($var)));
}

function Preserve($var){
$content = nl2br(str_replace(" ", "&nbsp;", $var));
}
?>


Neither of them work. Dunno why.

From what I understand...

If I do this:
function HelloThere($var){

Then when I use the function I can go...
HelloThere($hello);

And the $hello variable will be substituted for $var from when I defined the function. Am I not right, confusing, or misled? Please help!!!

Thanks.


PS I originally had this, but it didn't work:
<?php

function Protect($var){
$variable = $var;
$protect1 = mysql_real_escape_string($variable);
$protect2 = htmlentities($protect1);
$protect3 = stripslashes($protect2);
}

function Preserve($var){
$content = nl2br(str_replace(" ", "&nbsp;", $var));
}
?>
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
199 Like 21 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

My XSRF Prevention code isn't working
First of all, thanks for the generous help you guys have given me in the past on this forum.
Seco

Email to a friend script problems
I have this send-to-a-friend script with 2 issues:


1) When you open the form popup on a p

PHP mail() returns true but doesn't work
First off I apologize if this is a newbie question, and I generally don't like asking questions that

Retrieving innerHTML with cURL?
Hey all (sorry I know I'm a leecher, but I soon won't be. This is my first PHP project, but not my l

Database 'Validation'
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to validate the password entered by the user with the password in the dat

Collecting AOL Search Terms
I am attempting to collect AOL search terms. I know the code is correct (it works for google, bing,

Random date selection
i want to select random date with time(hour+minutes+sec) where date is specified(10/22/2009) and tim

using a loop help
Hi guys , i need some help. I have this loop :
while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($Result)) { ?&

Call db table from any PHP file
Hi,

I want to be able to call a database table that will be setup in another file called init

Users and Groups with PHP Classes
Hi,

I have setup what I hope to be a good working User class. Now I want to introduce group m

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash