Frustrated php Newbie

Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

First off, I am pretty much a PHP nub. I can read and understand the language (most of the time) so I figured I could get this to work.

So, my plan was to make a simple SQL server with a PHP bullitin board on it. No Problem, that's done. Now, I want to make a submit form and eventually work with GD2 to do a little bit of graphical stuff. I am working with templates on top of templates in this phpBB... of course.. So I copied a page and started to change the body of that page to reflect the simple form that I would like to make.

The form is simple, it has a drop down box which is supposed to pull just 13 different names off of the server (which is already set up correctly on the server). Then under that drop down box there is an input box where you can type a name as well. After that, a submit button. Simple

Here's the problem:
1. When I name it *name.php, and upload it and recache the website from the administration section, I only see a dropdown box with nothing inside of it to select and a sumbit button.

2. When I name it *name.html, and upload, recache, I see a dropdown box with nothing in it, the input box and the submit button.

3. When I make a regular php page without the template with the same code, I can see the dropdown box with all of the names from the server and the input box and the submit button. It all works, it just doesnt match the page.

are these templates preventing this form to connect to the SQL server correctly? I would assume no, since the entire website is built on it. am I putting my "" $dbc = mysql_connect "" code on the right page? (which one should it be, if it should even be in there at all

Here is the code for the form. Like I said, it is very simple.

Code:
<form>
<p align="center">Select your Army:

<select name="br_Armies">
<?
$query="SELECT * FROM br_Armies ORDER BY br_Army_Name";
$r=mysql_query($query);
while($row=mysql_fetch_array($r)){ ?>
<option value="<? echo $row['ID'] ?>"><? echo $row['br_Army_Name'] ?></option>
<? } ?>
</select>
</p>

<p align="center">Please type your Personal Army / Chapter Name

<input type="text" name="firstname" />
<br />
</p>

<div align="center">
<input type="submit" value="Submit your Army" />
</div>
</form>
I hope this forum is meant for things like this. I tried to search for this problem on google and other php sites, but I don't exactly know what to even search for! This seems like a pretty specific problem. I am extremely sorry if this has been answered before!

Thank you all in advance

No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
257 Like 26 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

login and redirect
hello! can someone help me.. can you give me an idea.. I want to make a login page and redirects it

a dificult string search
Hi I don't know a way around this. I want the user to input a password, but to make it a bit complca

Linked Keywords
I am trying to get a script that makes my predefined keyword converted to links and / or converted t

Help with Contact Form
I have this Form on an html page and the associated code on page.php (below).
I keep getting the

help me fix these syntax errors...
I keep getting multiple syntax errors on this script like this one:

Parse error: syntax error

Using insert variable
need a way to inert variable data to mysql database

$acc = "212121212";
$nok =

$_FILES array
Ok,

I just started experimenting with PHP today. My goal right now is to have people be able

parameter passing issue on function
Well I thought I had created a pretty slick web page, using ?page and $_GET to load pages which wher

PECL uploadprogress for php5.2
Hey, I just installed PHP5 via .htaccess on my 1and1 Shared Hosting Account.

How would I exac

Undefined Variable: PHP_SELF, pls help
Hi,

Im a newbie on PHP / MySQL programming and Im running a script to search one field on my

Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS

Play Free Quiz and Win Cash