Is there a more efficient way to code this than what I have?


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

I have three associative arrays.

$combinedSettings
$userSettings
Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
$defaultSettings

My function must combine the key and value from $userSettings and $defaultSettings into the $combinedSettings array.

$userSettings will always contain more keys than $defaultSettings will ever have.

So every once in a while there is an extra key and of course it's value in the $userSettings array than in the $defaultSettings array.

If the value of a key in $userSettings is empty we then use the value for the same key in the $defaultSettings. Every key in $defaultSettings will always be present in $userSettings. $userSettings just adds a few extra keys and their values.

Below is my working code but I am wondering if there is some way to make it more efficient, faster, perhaps with less code. It looks rather clutzy to me. Rather bloated.

Code: while (list($userKey, $userValue) = each($userSettings)) {
while ($defaultKey = key($defaultSettings)) {
$defaultValue = current($defaultSettings);
if ($userKey === $defaultKey) {
if ($userValue === "") {
$combinedSettings[$defaultKey] = $defaultValue;
} else {
$combinedSettings[$userKey] = $userKey;
}
next($defaultSettings); // to allow key() to work properly above.
} else { // add userSettings setting and value to combinedSettings and leave
// defaultSettings where it is.
$combinedSettings[$userKey] = $userValue;
}
break;
}
}

Thanks.
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
288 Like 7 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Comment Mod System Effects all rows...
Sorry if its confusing but here is whats going on: I have a table in a database called comments and

Calling variables
I want to call this to my website but it doesn't display what I want it to,

Code: <h5&

Need help making login verification cleaner...
I use the below to verify user login. I first check the cookie for the id, ip and a unique id. If it

I need help with formatting date from mysql! with php!
Hello guys

*Note: this is a php question not MySQL question, please do not move it to mysql s

Little problem with form insertion in MySQL, Please help!!!
Hi!,

I'm a little bit new with php and I have a little issue here. I created a webform to ins

simplexml and xpath - Need some help
Hello,

I am trying to parse an xml which comes back from Amazon and I am trying to know how m

How would I convert this into code using an if statement?
ES equals exam score m equals $mean s equals $total. I already coded my mean and total so I'm not g

insert/update functions for mysql, what do you think?
I am working on two really simple functions that automatically generate (and execute) insert and upd

Upload file and add HTML
Hey everyone,

I have a client has meeting agendas and minutes that should be posted online. I

Just cannot get 'area' to submit to db using same php code as already used
Basically all i have done is just modified some code and added an area section.
The form is allre

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash