Unidentified index error in a simple form


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

I have been trying to make an HTML form that is handled by a PHP script. So far my attempts to get it to work have proven fruitless.

I'm referencing the Visual Quickstart Guide for PHP to learn PHP, & I have since been referencing countless other websites & as far as I can tell, I shouldn't be getting any errors. I have written the code exactly the way it is in the book, yet when I enter values into the fields it returns a "Notice: Undefined index: title in /home/optionst/public_html/test.php on line 20" error message for all of the fields.

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
This is the code that I've written to handle the data in the form:
Quote<?php

ini_set ('display_errors', 1);
error_reporting (E_ALL | E_STRICT);

$title = $_POST['title'];
$name = $_POST['name'];
$response = $_POST['response'];
$comments = $_POST['comments'];

print "Thank you, $title $name for your comments.";
print "You stated that you found this response to be $response and added: $comments ";

?>
Other than that, the only other text in the file is the html doctype, header & body tags. Line 20 is <$title = $_POST['title'];>

This is my html form:
Quote<form method="post" action="test.php">
<p>Name: <select name="title">
<option value="Mr.">Mr.</option>
<option value="Mrs.">Mrs.</option>
<option value="Ms.">Ms.</option>
</select>
<input type="text" name="name" size="20" /></p>

<p>Email Address: <input type="text" name="email" size="20" /></p>

<p>Reponse: This is ...
<select name="response">
<option value="Excellent">Excellent</option>
<option value="Good">Good</option>
<option value="Boring">Boring</option>
</select>

<p>Comments: <textarea name="comments" rows="3" cols="30"></textarea></p>

<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Send My Feedback!" />

</form>

When I test the form, the "Notice: Undefined index: title in /home/optionst/public_html/test.php on line 20" appears for every field of the form. I have double checked that the values are all identical & that I put all the semi colons in. I can't think of anything else that would cause these errors.

Does anyone know why this would be happening?
Thanks
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
340 Like 36 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Open browser page depending on XML results
Hello,

I have some PHP code that sends webbased from data to an external url ( in the form of

How To Make More Than One Redirection with PHP on the same page?
Hey im trying to do a direction page where it open differently link direction pages every time som

PHP Programming error. Please help!
Hi there,

Am making a website for a friend and have encountered a problem that i need fixing

a dificult string search
Hi I don't know a way around this. I want the user to input a password, but to make it a bit complca

how to easy edit text, with box? Help.
Hi.
I have a little problem. I'm doing a webpage for my aunt and I would like to make it as easy

Convert array to string and write to csv file
I am looking to write a MySQL query to a csv file.

At the minute I:

check for the orig

imap: how to save a copy of sent emails to sent elements
Hello my friends,

I am writing an online emailing application with inbox outbox/sent elements

column name cancatenation within PL/SQL
I have a PLSQL store procedure, and the following statement is part of a subquery
fname||lnam

Multidimensional array problems in $_POST
I'm having trouble with a three-dimensional $_POST array. It starts as a two-dimensional array on th

cstdatomic (c++0x std::atomic) / g++ 4.4
Hello,

I'm trying to use cstdatomic (std::atomic in the upcoming c++0x standard) in g++

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash