National Games: Controversy over event management company


Posted on 3rd Jan 2015 03:47 pm by ram kishor

Thiruvananthapuram, Jan 3 (IANS) With just 28 days left for the 35th National Games to be held in the state, a controversy has broken out with a section of the media boycotting all events related to the mega sporting event.

A section of the media here has been cut up after the Run Kerala Run, a promotional programme to be held at 7000 locations in the state on the 20th of this month to promote the games, was given to an event management company which is a sister company of one of Kerala's leading regional dailies.

"This event is going to be one that is going to give Kerala a huge boost and to create a controversy for no reason should be avoided. But, if anyone has any complaint, they may give in writing on which immediate action will be taken," Chief Minister Oommen Chandy told reporters in Kochi Saturday.

Trouble had been brewing since it became public that the event management company was paid Rs 10.62 crores. For the past few days a section of the media has not been taking part in the routine press meetings and functions related to the games.

Kerala Sports Minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan told reporters here Saturday that it's most unfortunate that a needless controversy has been raked up.

"We have followed the policy of inviting tenders for every activity related to the games including selecting the event management company. Everything is there in the website for anyone to see....till today (Saturday) we have not received any written complaint from anyone. I individually spoke to people and we have called a meeting on Tuesday when I will make things more clear," said Radhakrishnan.

He pointed out that the company was selected as theirs was the lowest bid. "There are two components in the professional fees and one portion is related to conducting the Run Kerala Run event, the other portion pertains to the publicity and from that 'every one' would get a portion. There need be no fear that we did things on the sly," said Radhakrishnan.

Games' chief commissioner Jacob Punnoose, who is facing the brunt of the media attack, pointed out that he was unwell on Thursday and was in bed so he could not take part in the ceremony announcing the 30-day countdown to the games when leading sports personalities lit a lamp to mark the occasion.

"It was after detailed calculations that we decided to bring in an event management company because if we were to involve government officials to organise the Run Kerala Run event, it would have cost us more. Moreover the sports department in Kerala has just a handful of staff. We have done everything in the utmost transparent manner and everything is there in the website," Punnoose told IANS.

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
0 Like 0 Dislike
Previous news Next news
Other news

Kerala diaspora to meet in Kochi Jan 16

Kochi, Jan 6 (IANS) A two-day global diaspora meet of non-resident Keralites will begin here Ja

China's naval base started in Djibouti: Dragon will keep an eye on the Indian Ocean from Africa; Its first military base outside China

China's naval base in the African country of Djibouti has become fully operational. This has been

Does Modi have Game Plan for Shining India: Tharoor

Jaipur, Jan 23 (IANS) Congress MP Shashi Tharoor Friday said Prime Minister Narendra Modi had w

India said, clash in Ladakh with Chinese soldiers, what to say about China

The Indian government said on Monday that Chinese troops have violated the agreed boundary on the

UP Election 2022: For the fourth phase, the police will be tight, security will be strictly guarded in sensitive areas

After the peaceful completion of three phases of elections, now the eyes of the police are on the

PM Modi convened a meeting of the Council of Ministers, the discussion started to overcome the epidemic

Prime Minister Narendra Modi has called a meeting of his entire cabinet on Friday to take measure

PBKS vs MI: Suryakumar Yadav and Ishaan Kishan gave Mumbai their fifth win, Punjab bowlers bowled

Mumbai Indians registered their fifth win in the ongoing IPL season with a six-wicket win against

LSG star Digvesh Rathi gets a big punishment for 'notebook' celebration, BCCI imposes a hefty fine

Lucknow Super Giants spinner Digvesh Singh Rathi had to pay heavily for doing a 'notebook' celebr

Delhi NCR Weather: Red alert of heat wave, mercury will rise... Fire will rain from the sky for three days, know how this week will be.

Fire is raining from the sky in the capital. On Sunday, people were seen suffering from

Third Wave in India: Has the third wave of Corona arrived in India? when will it peak

Not only in the world but also India, the new variant of Corona, Omicron, is spreading its feet r

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash