explode() function problem maybe


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Hi I'm having trouble searching my database. When I type two words in the search field it only searches for the second word. For example: if I typed london zoo , it will only search for zoo.

Is this something to do with the explode function? I am stuck, any help would be amazing. Thanks

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
Here is my code:
<?php

// Get the search variable from URL

$var = @$_GET['q'] ;
$trimmed = trim($var); //trim whitespace from the stored variable

// rows to return
$limit=10;

// check for an empty string and display a message.
if ($trimmed == "")
{
echo "<p>Please enter a search...</p>";
exit;
}

// check for a search parameter
if (!isset($var))
{
echo "<p>We dont seem to have a search parameter!</p>";
exit;
}

//connect to your database ** EDIT REQUIRED HERE **
mysql_connect("host","username","password");

//specify database ** EDIT REQUIRED HERE **
mysql_select_db("database_name") or die("Unable to select database");

// Build SQL Query
$search_words = (explode(' ', $trimmed));
foreach ($search_words as $word) {
$query = "select * from table where Organisation like '%$word%' UNION select * from table where Location like '%$word%' UNION select * from table where Prices like '%$word%' UNION select * from table where Toddlers like '%$word%' UNION select * from table where Indoor_Outdoor like '%$word%'
order by Organisation"; }

$numresults=mysql_query($query);
$numrows=mysql_num_rows($numresults);

// If we have no results, offer a google search as an alternative

if ($numrows == 0)
{
echo "<h4>Results</h4>";
echo "<p>Sorry, your search: &quot;" . $trimmed . "&quot; returned zero results</p>";

// google
echo "<p><a href="http://www.google.com/search?q="
. $trimmed . "" target="_blank" title="Look up
" . $trimmed . " on Google">Click here</a> to try the
search on google</p>";
}

// next determine if s has been passed to script, if not use 0
if (empty($s)) {
$s=0;
}

// get results
$query .= " limit $s,$limit";
$result = mysql_query($query) or die("Couldn't execute query");

// display what the person searched for
echo "<p>You searched for: &quot;" . $var . "&quot;</p>";


// now you can display the results returned
// begin to show results set
echo "Results <br /><br />";
$count = 1 + $s ;

// now you can display the results returned
while ($row= mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
$title = $row["Result"];
$col = $row["Organisation"];
$col1 = $row["Location"];
$col2 = $row["Indoor_Outdoor"];
$col3 = $row["Prices"];
$col4 = $row["Toddlers"];
$col5 = $row["Primary"];
$col6 = $row["Junior"];
$col7 = $row["High_School"];
$col8 = $row["All_Family"];
$col9 = $row["Telephone"];
$col10 = $row["Website_Address"];

echo '<div class="results">';
echo "<div class="title"> $col</div>";
echo "<div class="subheadings">Indoors or Outdoors? $col2</div>";
echo "<div class="subheadings">Price Range in £'s: $col3</div>";
echo "<div style="clear:both"></div>";
echo "<div class="suitable">Suitable for toddlers? $col4<br /> Suitable for primary schools? $col5 <br />Suitable for junior schools? $col6 <br />Suitable for high schools?$col7<br /> Suitable for all the family? $col8</div>";
echo "<div class="lo">Location: $col1</div>";
echo "<div style="clear:both"></div>";
echo "<div class="lo">Telephone Number: $col9</div>";
echo "<div style="clear:both"></div>";
echo "<div class="website">Website Addess: <a href="$col10">$col10</a></div>";
echo "<br /><br />";
echo "</div>n";

$count++ ;
}

$currPage = (($s/$limit) + 1);

//break before paging
echo "<br />";

// next we need to do the links to other results
if ($s>=1) { // bypass PREV link if s is 0
$prevs=($s-$limit);
print "&nbsp;<a href="$PHP_SELF?s=$prevs&q=$var">&lt;&lt;
Prev 10</a>&nbsp&nbsp;";
}

// calculate number of pages needing links
$pages=intval($numrows/$limit);

// $pages now contains int of pages needed unless there is a remainder from division

if ($numrows%$limit) {
// has remainder so add one page
$pages++;
}

// check to see if last page
if (!((($s+$limit)/$limit)==$pages) && $pages!=1) {

// not last page so give NEXT link
$news=$s+$limit;

echo "&nbsp;<a href="$PHP_SELF?s=$news&q=$var">Next 10 &gt;&gt;</a>";
}

$a = $s + ($limit) ;
if ($a > $numrows) { $a = $numrows ; }
$b = $s + 1 ;
echo "<p>Showing results $b to $a of $numrows</p>";

?>
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
116 Like 24 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Beginner PHP code help
Hi I'm new to php but if someone could please read the question below and help it would be great.

Inserting multiple records from single form
I've found a number of threads that deal with this issue, but I'm new to php and coding language so

PHP4 to PHP5 Conversion
Hi Everyone,

I am working on a site that is built up on PHP4 and each page is being started f

Formatting echo from database
So I have a database that stores First and last names, then echos them back to a website, as of now

How to implement HTTP connection timeout
Hi All,I would like to implement an HTTP connection timeout.

I am working on a application wh

Add a sign-up feature to a flat file login script
I'm working on a flat file login script and I would like to add a sign-up feature to it with a email

HTML Viewer HIDE scrollbar
How can I disable scrollbars in a HTML Viewer control? I can't hide them. Even i have enough space b

$action = "insert"; //$action = $_GET['action'];
$action = "insert";
//$action = $_GET['action'];

why is this invalid type? I am

Mail Script Problems
I have created a PHP mail script. I am having a problem though. In $body i am trying to put two va

PHP - HTTP Digest Authentication - Understanding Code Help
Hi Everyone,

This is my first time on your website and please excuse if I am asking silly que

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash