Preserving user-entered linebreaks

Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Hi, I'm building a web 2.0 thingy from scratch and I wanna display text which users input. It's all good so far, except that all the linebreaks are destroyed, so no matter how carefully they insert whitespace, their input gets displayed as one big block of text.

The data is submitted (method="post") through a textarea. The mysql_real_escape version is stored in mysql. Then it's read from the database (no unescaping necessary) and passed through htmlentities before being printed into the body of the webpage.

I tried replacing htmlentities with the following function:

Line number On/Off | Expand/Contractfunction brentities($x){ $x = str_replace("[LINEBREAK]","nr",$x); $x = str_replace("[LINEBREAK]","rn",$x); $x = str_replace("[LINEBREAK]","n",$x); $x = htmlentities($x); $x = str_replace("<pre>n</pre>","[LINEBREAK]",$x); return $x;}

But this doesn't seem to work. I also tried setting "white-space: pre;" in the CSS for the appropriate div, but that caused the text to bleed outside the div (and even outside the screen), so no go

What's the best way to settle this issue?

Thanks

No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
53 Like 35 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

How to change Time Zone
HI
I want to change the time zone of the server to another country.How can do that?

Thanks

Can I call a class inside a function?
I have a class written in another file that handles my image resizing.

Can I do this (php say

Word Trimming
Hi Guys & Gals!!

Hope you are all ok....

I need some help with the following

Deleting pointers froms vector?
Hi. I have a vector filled with pointers and I want to delete the pointers. I could do a loop and do

what business processes?
Hi,

A general question. What business processes (like OTC - Order to Cach, P2P, R2R etc)

Referential Integrity problem when inserting into 2 tables at same time
Hello Everyone,

Im relativity new to PHP and MySQL and i have come up against a problem. i h

RSS feed - FeedList for WordPress
Hi,

I'm trying to alter the FeedList plugin for WordPress so that I can click on the title of

why isn't this PHP code working ???
it's suppose to find a name on the database.

<?php

$s = $_POST["lname&

Detail Expenses Report by Cost Center
I would like to obtain a report out of SAP that shows a list of expenses by cost center that shows t

Update not working ... please help
Hi,

I am trying to update a row using an edit form by passing id of the row .. but it is not

Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS

Play Free Quiz and Win Cash