Preserving user-entered linebreaks


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Hi, I'm building a web 2.0 thingy from scratch and I wanna display text which users input. It's all good so far, except that all the linebreaks are destroyed, so no matter how carefully they insert whitespace, their input gets displayed as one big block of text.

The data is submitted (method="post") through a textarea. The mysql_real_escape version is stored in mysql. Then it's read from the database (no unescaping necessary) and passed through htmlentities before being printed into the body of the webpage.

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
I tried replacing htmlentities with the following function:

Line number On/Off | Expand/Contractfunction brentities($x){ $x = str_replace("[LINEBREAK]","nr",$x); $x = str_replace("[LINEBREAK]","rn",$x); $x = str_replace("[LINEBREAK]","n",$x); $x = htmlentities($x); $x = str_replace("<pre>n</pre>","[LINEBREAK]",$x); return $x;}

But this doesn't seem to work. I also tried setting "white-space: pre;" in the CSS for the appropriate div, but that caused the text to bleed outside the div (and even outside the screen), so no go

What's the best way to settle this issue?

Thanks
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
53 Like 35 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Baffled by Undefined Index in Simple Array: Please Help!
Hello. I have a form which posts an array to this script. However, I can't seem to access the values

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result
what is wrong with this

Code: [Select]<?php
if ($_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'])
{

How can i use [] tags instead of <> tags for profiles??
On my site im making ive made it so u can register, login and u have a profile which u can update..<

Trigger tag in aspx is not coming
hi all ,iam new to ajax, iam using file upload inside the update pannel but right now i want to use

Getting PHP to ammended the selected in option field
Hey Guys

thanks for everyones help so far. This site and its users are oozing awesomness.

If statement help please.
Hello on my site I have 2 content boxes. 1 is for the main content (which is the biggest one) and th

Adding to the next element in a multidimensional array
Hi, I'm trying to add a value to $node->field_spaces['nid'] where x is the next available spo

Output Full URL of Current Page
Let's say I am currently viewing a dynamic page:

http://www.mydomain.com/directory/index.php

IIS7 and getimagesize() problem
I have just discovered after hrs of trying to fix a problem where it's coming from. It's to do with

Best way to check for end of a record and send it back to the first record
I'm hoping someone can help me out and explain the best way to accomplish this.

What I'm doin

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash