PHP - HTTP Digest Authentication - Understanding Code Help


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time on your website and please excuse if I am asking silly question.

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
I have a question about PHP HTTP DIGEST AUTHENTICATION - published in PHP Manual - php.net
Their explanation is bit limited and I was unable to find anything about it on the web - People have written that
it's beyond the knowledge of the language and just paste the code and use it. But I have still done some study on the regular expression used and managed to understand it but please help me in understanding it completely.

The code which I need to be explained is in Blue color.

I will thank u in advance



/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
<?php
$realm = 'Restricted area';

//user => password
$users = array('admin' => 'mypass', 'guest' => 'guest');


if (empty($_SERVER['PHP_AUTH_DIGEST'])) {
header('HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized');
header('WWW-Authenticate: Digest realm="'.$realm.
'",qop="auth",nonce="'.uniqid().'",opaque="'.md5($realm).'"');

die('Text to send if user hits Cancel button');
}


// analyze the PHP_AUTH_DIGEST variable
if (!($data = http_digest_parse($_SERVER['PHP_AUTH_DIGEST'])) ||
!isset($users[$data['username']]))
die('Wrong Credentials!');


// generate the valid response
$A1 = md5($data['username'] . ':' . $realm . ':' . $users[$data['username']]);
$A2 = md5($_SERVER['REQUEST_METHOD'].':'.$data['uri']);
$valid_response = md5($A1.':'.$data['nonce'].':'.$data['nc'].':'.$data['cnonce'].':'.$data['qop'].':'.$A2);

if ($data['response'] != $valid_response)
die('Wrong Credentials!');

// ok, valid username & password
echo 'Your are logged in as: ' . $data['username'];


// function to parse the http auth header
function http_digest_parse($txt)
{
// protect against missing data
$needed_parts = array('nonce'=>1, 'nc'=>1, 'cnonce'=>1, 'qop'=>1, 'username'=>1, 'uri'=>1, 'response'=>1);
$data = array();
$keys = implode('|', array_keys($needed_parts));

print $txt;

$txt - Below code shows the values which I received from the server - To check whats coming from the server
username="guest",realm="Restricted area",nonce="4b20d54ab440a",uri="/http.php",cnonce="e6fd095f85a80f1e68f3c2685119b35c",nc=00000001,response="ebaa40b07e3da56e89b048a9766fd4db",qop="auth",opaque="cdce8a5c95a1427d74df7acbf41c9ce0"Your are logged in as: guest

preg_match_all('@(' . $keys . ')=(?[' "])([^2]+?)2|([^s,]+))@', $txt, $matches, PREG_SET_ORDER);

My Understanding of the preg match all code above -


Preg_match_all is used to capture strings which have been matched by the above pattern. @ - means don't report any error on this. ' .$keys. ' have been imploded with a (pipe '|' also called or ) and because of implode function usage the keys values are 'nonce|nc|cnonce|qop|username|uri|username' .

Now the pattern looks for = sign .

Than parentheses comes with ?: non capturing parentheses means that it can be captured but it cannot be counted - at the time of using backrefrence.

Now 2 parentheses comes along ([' "]) with a character class and ' (not very sure about this) -Please confirm if correct - but i think it's escaped so that
we can capture ' or " -as you can see from the above $txt variable username has a value "guest".

Now we get to the third parentheses which is ([^2])+ - which I think is using negation with a back refrence , so we go back to the 2 parentheses because of 2 and look for another
" not start with what was matched in 2 parentheses with +(one or more) and than another parentheses with )?(option sign in the end to tell if its not really needed but optional) and another backrefrence
2 which takes back to ([' "]) and says find " and yes it "guest" is found without the quotes and is saved in the matches.

Now I am confused at this very much | (represented as "pipe" or "or") I think its to do something with the keys which were imploded earlier - look at the $key variable after imploding - Whats the use of this don't know and in what context it's being used don't know. And the last parentheses ([^s,]+) says dont capture anthing thats whitespace and , with + sign (One or more)

Please can someone tell whether I have got the above understanding correct and what mistakes I have made in my understanding.




foreach ($matches as $m) {
$data[$m[1]] = $m[3] ? $m[3] : $m[4];
unset($needed_parts[$m[1]]);
}

return $needed_parts ? false : $data;}

The above blue code explanation will also be much appreciated.

?>
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
269 Like 16 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

unexpected T_VARIABLE error
Hey all! I'm getting an unexpected T_VARIABLE with the following function:

function getHighes

simplexml and xpath - Need some help
Hello,

I am trying to parse an xml which comes back from Amazon and I am trying to know how m

connect() succeeds but accept() does not?
Please help me with this problem. I'm working on a time-sensitive project where I'm using TCP socket

The type or namespace name 'ServiceModel' does not exist in the namespace 'System'
When I locally run the website, it works just fine, but when I uploaded it to the hosting environmen

PHP form authentication
Hi guys,

what am trying to achieve is this: Whenever a user tries to login to my website, an

Solution to the FindControl problem
I have seen may posts about having problems with the FindControl method. Most seem to come about bec

I have a parse error in this query help..
Code: $query1="INSERT INTO `rating` (`item_name`, `rating`, `ip_address`, `date_rated`) VALUES

Preventing blank or already entered values
Im trying to learn how to place a read file line by line and prevent duplicate entries and also BLAN

Please Help my PHP Dating Function.
Hi everyone!

Well here is my code that displays this:

It works wonderful.


CE 7.1 and External GIS integration
Hi All,

We want to develop an application on CE 7.1 which uses GIS features from an exter

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash