Search with relational database


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Hey,

I have quite a complicated (for me anyway ) relational database for an apartments system I am developing.
Keith (kickstart) was very helpful assisting me in creating the relationships and here is a general overview of the database structure
Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.

apartment Table
Code: id
address
description

appliances Table
Code: id
applianceName

areas Table
Code: id
areaName

amenities Table
Code: id
amenitiesName

appliancesLink
Code: id
applianceId
apartmentId

areaLink
Code: id
areaId
apartmentId

amenitiesLink
Code: id
amenitiesId
apartmentId

I want to have a form that lists all the appliances, amenities and areas as checkbox groups so the user can perform a search. For example; Find all apartments with fridge (appliance), tv (appliance) in london (area) or tokyo (area)

I have no idea where to start even , (ok probably with the form but in regards to the sql query )

if it helps heres the query I use to retrieve all the information for all apartments:
Code: $result = mysql_query("
SELECT DISTINCT apartment.Id, apartment.Description, apartment.Address, apartment.Bathrooms, typeList, appliancesList, areaList, amenitiesList, businessList, picturesList
FROM apartment
LEFT OUTER JOIN (SELECT apartmentId, GROUP_CONCAT(CONCAT_WS('~',typeid, typeName, typePriceNL, typePriceNH, typePriceML, typePriceMH) SEPARATOR ', ') AS TypeList FROM typeLink INNER JOIN type ON typeLink.typeId = type.Id GROUP BY apartmentId) typeSub ON apartment.Id = typeSub.ApartmentId
LEFT OUTER JOIN (SELECT apartmentId, GROUP_CONCAT(applianceName SEPARATOR ', ') AS AppliancesList FROM appliancesLink INNER JOIN appliances ON appliancesLink.applianceId = appliances.Id GROUP BY apartmentId) appliancesSub ON apartment.Id = appliancesSub.apartmentId
LEFT OUTER JOIN (SELECT apartmentId, GROUP_CONCAT(CONCAT_WS('~',areaName, areaDesc) SEPARATOR '* ') AS areaList FROM areaLink INNER JOIN areas ON areaLink.areaId = areas.Id GROUP BY apartmentId) areaSub ON apartment.Id = areaSub.apartmentId
LEFT OUTER JOIN (SELECT apartmentId, GROUP_CONCAT(CONCAT_WS('~',amenitiesName) SEPARATOR '* ') AS amenitiesList FROM amenitiesLink INNER JOIN amenities ON amenitiesLink.amenitiesId = amenities.Id GROUP BY apartmentId) amenitiesSub ON apartment.Id = amenitiesSub.apartmentId
LEFT OUTER JOIN (SELECT apartmentId, GROUP_CONCAT(CONCAT_WS('~',businessName) SEPARATOR '* ') AS businessList FROM businessLink INNER JOIN business ON businessLink.businessId = business.Id GROUP BY apartmentId) businessSub ON apartment.Id = businessSub.apartmentId
LEFT OUTER JOIN (SELECT apartmentId, GROUP_CONCAT(path SEPARATOR ', ') AS PicturesList FROM picturesLink INNER JOIN pictures ON picturesLink.pictureId = pictures.Id GROUP BY apartmentId) picturesSub ON apartment.Id = picturesSub.apartmentId
WHERE apartment.Id = '".$apId."'
") or die(mysql_error());

I know this is not a simple question I really do appreciate people take time to help out!
Any suggestions would really be appreciated.
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
215 Like 25 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Javascript using window.location seems to lose state
Not sure what forum so let me know if I'm in the wrong place. I have a main window with a ajax grid

What makes a script your own?
If someone finds a login script online, and changes some variable names around and some other minor

column name cancatenation within PL/SQL
I have a PLSQL store procedure, and the following statement is part of a subquery
fname||lnam

Google Wave
So... has anyone used it yet? Is it any good?

http://wave.google.com/help/wave/about.html#vid

Unable to display contents in Second Drop Down Box
Hi All,

What I am trying to do is 2 dependent drop down boxes and when user selects su

PHP form help required
Hi all! Apologies in advance for having to message the forum for help. I know you must get a lot of

Track downloads' status
Hello,

I need to make somehow, some system, to track whether downloads are completed or faile

Help with Password Encoding/Decoding?
Trying to design a "change password" tool. On my signup code I'm using base64_encode, now

how to get values from $_Post with onchange="form.submit();"?
Hi, I have a form that submit to itself with a file upload field and two other hidden field values.<

Simple Variable Question
Hi everyone.... again,

I am really getting into php still. Learning more every day. I love it

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash