Variable uses and placement


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

I'm new to PL/SQL and am trying to learn about variable valid uses/placement (any pointers to any docs is appreciated...)
All of the docs I've looked only mention declaration and assignment not valid placement.

When I use an input parameter to a cursor placement matters . I just don't understand why...
Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.

example... using the value "SCOTT" as an input parm to the c10 cursor replaces the "str_in" variable correctly and works...

1 declare
2 cursor c10(str_in IN varchar2) is
3 select username
4 from dba_users where username=str_in ;
5 begin
6 for r_c10 in c10('SCOTT') loop
7 dbms_output.put_line(r_c10.username);
8 end loop;
9* end;
SQL> /
SCOTT

PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.

However, when trying to replace another "word" it won't resolve the reference...

example... attempting to replace the from table_name as an input parm, no go...

1 declare
2 cursor c10(str_in IN varchar2) is
3 select username
4 from str_in where username='SCOTT' ;
5 begin
6 for r_c10 in c10('DBA_USERS') loop
7 dbms_output.put_line(r_c10.username);
8 end loop;
9* end;
SQL> /
from str_in where username='SCOTT' ;
*
ERROR at line 4:
ORA-06550: line 4, column 6:
PL/SQL: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
ORA-06550: line 3, column 1:
PL/SQL: SQL Statement ignored
ORA-06550: line 7, column 26:
PLS-00364: loop index variable 'R_C10' use is invalid
ORA-06550: line 7, column 5:
PL/SQL: Statement ignored

Why can't it resolve the string ?

Any help is appreciated
dumb newbie...
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
344 Like 49 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ELSEIF in /home/......html/item.php on l
I do not know what is wrong with this. Hope some one can help. I do nto want to post the entire site

Allegro crashes when running load_bitmap. Why?
I can not get Allegro to load any BMP images. Here is a section of test code. The picture is in the

Not Inserting into DB
I can't get my Add new Division form to submit to the database. Anyone see my issue?

Code: &a

How to get all server headers like Live http Headers does
Hey all, like many of you I use the Firefox addon "Live http Headers". I'm trying to write

Protecting forms
Alright, I want to protect some forms of mine from SQL Injections, because I had someone earlier spa

why does my session end?
my connect.php starts the session just so you know
i can navigate arround my site fine except whe

Need Reporting Advice
My SQL server doesn't support MS SQL reporting services that comes with SQL Enterprise or Express. T

check_changed_data - I can't get data from the called method event
I use check_changed_data to trigger my event method.

The method delivers er_changed_data.

for some reason mysql query not working, not inserting, please check it out
This code is not inserting anything into my db, don't know why, the $_SESSION variable does contain

cURL proxy
Okay here is the thing... i know how to add proxys

Code: curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_PROXYTYPE,

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash