What are causes of a connection-timeout with fopen()?

Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Hello! Here is the situation: The server I host my website on just upgraded it's PHP build from 4.4.* to 5.2.4. Not just PHP was upgraded, MySQL, postGres, and (I think) Apache were upgraded as well. Before the upgrade, my site worked perfectly.

But now, whenever I access my site, it takes a long time to complete a request and all that is returned is "Warning: fopen(<THE_URL>) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Connection timed out in..."

I know where the error is -- it's in my templating class. I check the remote server's configuration and the directive "allow_url_fopen is enabled and safe_mode is disabled.

The strange thing is that my script works on my local server perfectly which is using PHP build 5.2.5. I looked for any differences between my local-server's PHPINFO() and my remote-server's PHPINFO() and, while I didn't find anything eye-catching yet, I noticed that virtual-directory-support is disabled on my remote-server and it is enabled on my local-server. Would that be what's causing the problem? If not, what are some potential causes for fopen() to behave this way?

No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
228 Like 12 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output sta
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/praylif

word wrap in emails help needed
Hello, I understand how wordwrap works in php and have used it well before. However when I used wor

want to add a break after a certain amount of characters
i was wondering how to add a break in a blog post after a certain amount of characters... any idea o

Uploading Filetypes and placing them in seperate folders.
Hello,

first post , and asking for help im afraid. Very new to PHP, was making good progress

Turning Data into URLs?
This may seem very basic to you, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do this since I don'

Reg Ex
Im trying to search for the string: srv_9 (Dead ???)

I thought to use preg_match, however I d

Can we convert non uni code system into unicode
Hi All,

Presently i am using non-unicode system and the sap version is 4.7.
Can i c

PL/SQL: ORA-00947: not enough values error message
Hi all i am getting Error(25,63): PL/SQL: ORA-00947: not enough values error message when executing

PHP form authentication
Hi guys,

what am trying to achieve is this: Whenever a user tries to login to my website, an

Filtering Tables
Hello Thanks for any help any one can give Im very new to PHP..

I need to pull data for clien

Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS

Play Free Quiz and Win Cash