What are causes of a connection-timeout with fopen()?


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Hello! Here is the situation: The server I host my website on just upgraded it's PHP build from 4.4.* to 5.2.4. Not just PHP was upgraded, MySQL, postGres, and (I think) Apache were upgraded as well. Before the upgrade, my site worked perfectly.

But now, whenever I access my site, it takes a long time to complete a request and all that is returned is "Warning: fopen(<THE_URL>) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Connection timed out in..."

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
I know where the error is -- it's in my templating class. I check the remote server's configuration and the directive "allow_url_fopen is enabled and safe_mode is disabled.

The strange thing is that my script works on my local server perfectly which is using PHP build 5.2.5. I looked for any differences between my local-server's PHPINFO() and my remote-server's PHPINFO() and, while I didn't find anything eye-catching yet, I noticed that virtual-directory-support is disabled on my remote-server and it is enabled on my local-server. Would that be what's causing the problem? If not, what are some potential causes for fopen() to behave this way?
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
228 Like 12 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Table control is disappearing from Screen
Hi Experts,

I have a screen with multiple table control(TC). Each table control has two c

Passing variables with pagination - iterating through unique id per link
Hi everyone,
I have seen a few topics like this one. Still cant find the specific thing, so I am

Find occurences of unicode characters in string
I need to prohibit filenames with everything but English characters and numbers but regexp and strin

convert PHP array to Javascript array
I have a page that gets a request sent from AJAX, and I am trying to convert a PHP array to a javasc

Streaming local file from PHP while it’s been written to by a CURL process
I am creating a simple Proxy server for my website. Why I am not using mod_proxy and mod_cache is a

constructor ?
i have written this program and made 3 constructors in the class and i want to call them in the main

Writing Windows Device Drivers with C
Yes: one of the nice features of C is void*. You can put anything there and get anything out. Very

download directory onto C drive
I am attempting (if this is possible) to write a routine to automatically dump the contents of a dir

Creating a unique 'control panel' for each user
Hi there,

I'm thinking of designing a site that will allow users to sign up and have their ow

upload image name with extension using php
hi frds..

<input id="file1" type="file" name="file[]" &a

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash