Return X values where an ID number doesnt matter


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Well as for subject heading, thats the best i could think of.

Currently im having a problem with a rather old piece of script i had written for a guestbook.
The guestbook itself relies completely on the `id` field of the table to show the posts.
Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
But if a post is deleted, then it screws up the pagination of the posts such that if you were to click "next page" the same results as the last page would show.

The query:
Line number On/Off | Expand/Contract$set = $numAllResults-$offset+1;SELECT * FROM `posts` WHERE `id` <= '$set' ORDER BY `id` DESC

This query works wonders if every entry in the table is only incremented by 1, but breaks when an entry of 'X' does not exist. ie. it skips post 'X' but also shows older posts based on the newest entry. As i know this isnt clear, let me clear it up with an example:
Line number On/Off | Expand/Contracttable - `posts``id`, `name`, `post`1,'Joe','Hi there'2,'Johanna','Love the guest book'3,'Jeff','Great stuff'4,'James','Could have more stuff'8,'John','Excellent!'9,'Joel','Not bad'

As you can see, there are 3 entries missing because they were deleted.
As it stands, there should be 2 pages in the guestbook because there are more than 5 entries.
However, the first page will show entries:
9,8,4,3,2.
The second page:
8,4,3,2,1

Now in this example, the problem isnt too huge, although when i have say 20 entries with half deleted, it will show the same posts for about 4 pages, and then change after the $set is lower than the older posts.

Yes i am posting my code, but, this was written over a year ago now, so i know i am breaking some of my own today's standards for programming Im just looking for a fix so that when items are deleted it will still show everything properly.

Line number On/Off | Expand/Contract<?phpinclude_once("include/connect.php");$guestbookconnect = connect();mysql_select_db("alexast_db",$guestbookconnect);$offset = $_GET['p'];if(!$_GET['p']){$offset = 0;}if($offset < 0){print "<script>window.location = 'guestbook.php';</script>";}$results = 5; //display number of results per page.$currentresults = 0; $getAllPostsSQL = "SELECT * FROM `posts` ORDER BY `id` DESC";$getAllPostsQuery = mysql_query($getAllPostsSQL, $guestbookconnect) or die(mysql_error($guestbookconnect));$numAllResults = mysql_num_rows($getAllPostsQuery); $set = $numAllResults-$offset+1;$getPostsSQL = "SELECT * FROM `posts` WHERE `id` <= '$set' ORDER BY `id` DESC";$getPostsQuery = mysql_query($getPostsSQL, $guestbookconnect) or die(mysql_error($guestbookconnect));$numResults = mysql_num_rows($getPostsQuery); while($getPostsResult = mysql_fetch_assoc($getPostsQuery)){$currentresults++; if($currentresults <= $results){?> <div class="guestbook_frame"> <div class="guestbook_box1"> <div id="style_name"><?php print $getPostsResult['name']; ?></div> </div> <div class="guestbook_box2"> <div id="style_date"><?php print $getPostsResult['date']; ?></div> </div> <div class="guestbook_box3"> </div> <div class="guestbook_box4"> <div id="style_content"><?php print $getPostsResult['content']; ?></div> </div> </div><?php }}mysql_close($guestbookconnect);?>
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
188 Like 47 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Call to undefined function mysql_fetch_accoc()
New to php/mysql coding. What's wrong with this sequence, or am I
just not seeing to obvious?

need a script for 3 pages
I have a customer who wants me to set up a site with a number of pages with the following requiremen

PHP Code To Change Font Color in Table Cell
I would appreciate help with the following snippet of my php code. I am just trying to change the f

duplicate record notification
In my database, after insertion of records, I want to know if the record inserted is duplicate or no

problem with php server update from mid 2009
Hi,

I have this navigation menu on 2 websites which used to work just fine. After a recent up

Displaying data from MySql a different way
Hi all,
I'm pretty new to php and MySql and have hit a problem.

I am able to display data

Dynamically allocating the number of rows in a table based on a variable value
Hi,
I have situation here which i cannot resolve, I have a variable temp which stores the num

Inserting a variable in a link
I have this code that I want to insert for my own variable but I have no idea how. This is what I wa

Displaying data from database into a 2 dimensional table
Good day!

I'm a beginner in PHP and I'm not expecting a full coding for this qestion. I'm jus

Code doesn't print what i wanted it too. Please help!
Hi there,

I wrote this code to mae it so that in the form before it that the user said their

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash