Using the $_GET variable to view certain records


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Hello,

First let me explain my problem, I have 2 pages the first page pull a list of Guide titles from a database for example if i had a guide called "Install windows" it would be pulled from the database with a link next to the guide called "read this Guide" now that works fine.

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
the problem that i am having is when a user clicks the "Read this guide" it will goto the next page and pull the content from the database that releates to the guide. however nothing is being displayed on the next page. My code is shown below for the 2 pages and my database structure.

Guides.php (1st page)
Code: <?php


/**
* @author Joe Moore
* @copyright 2010
*/

//Include the database connection details, to allow us to communicate with the database
include 'dbcon.php';


echo '<p> Here are all the articles in the database </p>';

$result = @mysql_query('SELECT guidetitle, id FROM guides');

if (!$result)
{
exit('<p>Error performing query: ' . mysql_error() . '</p>');
}

// Display the text of each guide in a paragraph
//with a "Delete this Guide" link next to each
while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
{
$id = $row['id'];
$guidetitle = $row['guidetitle'];
echo "<p>$guidetitle " .
"<a href=read.php?id=$id>Read this guide</a></p>";

}

?>
read.php (2nd page)
Code: <?php
//include('auth.php');

/**
* @author Joe Moore
* @copyright 2010
*/
?>
<h1>Welcome <?php // echo $_SESSION['SESS_FIRST_NAME'];?></h1>
<?php
//Include the database connection details, to allow us to communicate with the database
include 'dbcon.php';

$id = $_GET['id'];

$guide = mysql_query("SELECT guidetext, id FROM guides WHERE id='$id'");

if (!$guide)
{
exit('<p>Error Fetching Guide Details: ' .
mysql_error() . '</p>');
}

$guide = mysql_fetch_array($guide);
?>
my database structure (table)

id guidetext guidedate guidetitle author
1 This is sample text and will be updated accordinly 2010-01-08 Secure Passwords 1
2 this guide will talk abut web servers and how to i... 2010-01-08 Install web servers on windows 1
3 this guide will talk about password storage 2010-01-08 How to secure passwords 2 1
5 HOW TO INSTALL LITESPEED ON LINUX 2010-01-09 Litespeed webserver 1

Thanks
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
248 Like 43 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Facebook status update API
Hello,

So, I'm trying to create my first Facebook application with PHP.

Basic ideas fo

Change Sort Order to Display Newest File First
Hi Guys,

I have a page that sorts the contents (PDFs) of a directory and displays them on the

Streaming local file from PHP while it’s been written to by a CURL process
I am creating a simple Proxy server for my website. Why I am not using mod_proxy and mod_cache is a

can i optmize image to 50% quality before uploading 2 server
Hi there

i have jus written a php program to upload and display images but when i try to uplo

Open link with largest int string first
I have the following links i would like to open either all at once or one-by-one. How would i procee

Mouseover to edit (Ajax)
hi friends, can anyone help with the code behind to get this application working, please in VB (new

Using Curl_multi for processing multiple URLs
Hi,

I am at a loss as to how to implement this. I would like to be able to automatically assi

Error querying database.
I get the above error when trying to insert some values to a datatable.
Here's the code :

Contact Form Not Working When I Add Validation Codes
So I built my first working PHP "Contact Us" like form. But, I have been trying to now mak

form class help (oop php5)
Hidy Ho Neighbors,

I'm forcing myself to learn oop/classes for php5. It seems like a good id

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash