Can't seem to capture a variable in a chained select


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

I'm *this* close to having a chained select running but for some reason it doesn't seem to be picking up a variable.

Code: <?php

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
require ('inc/connection.php');

//seeming that we are just submitting and refreshing to the one page we need to check if the post variable is set, and if so a couple of other variables are set
if(!isset($_POST['state'])) {
$next_dropdown = 0;
}
else {
//When set this variable reveals the next drop down menu
$next_dropdown = 1;
//this variable keeps the previous selection selected
$selected = $_POST['state'];
}
?>

<form name="form" method="post" action="">
<select name="state" style="font-size:20px;">
<option value="NULL">State</option>
<?php
$query = "SELECT id, name FROM state ORDER BY name ASC";
$result = mysql_query($query);
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
{?>
<option value="<?php echo $row[0]; ?>" onClick="document.form.submit()" <?php if(isset($selected) && $row[0] == $selected) {echo "selected='selected'";} ?>><?php echo $row[1]; ?></option>n";
<?php }
echo '</form>n';
//this is where the other form will appear if the previous form is submitted
if($next_dropdown == 1) {?>
<form name="form2" action="" method="post">
<select name="city">
<option value="NULL">City</option>
<?php
$query2 = "SELECT * FROM city WHERE state_id = " . $row[0];
$result2 = mysql_query($query2);
while($row2 = mysql_fetch_array($result2))
{ ?>
<option value="<?php echo $row2[0]; ?>" onClick="document.form2.submit()"><?php echo $row2[1]; ?></option>
<?php }?>
</select>
</form>
<?php }
?>

The state drop down works fine. Once a state is selected, it will display the city drop down. However, the city drop down never populates. It's as though it forgets what $row[0] is. Any thoughts?
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
83 Like 35 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Binding 2 UDP sockets on same port, connected to different destinations, 1 receives
Hello,
My application wants to send/recv data to 2 different UDP ports on a remote computer, us

Am i doing this wrong?
Im pulling from an Oracle database some info... one of which is a field count_pnums which is a NUMBE

if else problem, help please
i have this script that i made only i try to also put in a if else for for some reason the script is

Sendmail.php - heading error following check_input
Hi,

I would greatly appreciate some help? I am brand new to PHP and have been searching and e

Having problemswith multithreading and prime numbers
I have an assignment when I'm suppose to do the following:

Write a multithreaded Java, Pt

PHP time (deadline within one week)
I have a column ['projdue'], which stores the deadline for a project.
I have PHP code and <

PHP5 - Verifying a secure mail is secure
I need to send an e-mail from a form to a external department and because it contains personal custo

PHP mail() rejected by SMTP
I'm currently working on a newsletter application which is installed on a windows 2003 server runnin

Uploading Filetypes and placing them in seperate folders.
Hello,

first post , and asking for help im afraid. Very new to PHP, was making good progress

help me, how to find text on an external html site using PHP
Would anyone know how to search an external html file for a work or phrase ?

I was thinking s

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash