error checking breaking my code


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Hi there, OK first of all, big apologies for what I assume is really fundamental errors in the structure of my code. I'm really new at this and still learning, but I'm almost at the stage of giving up on this one. I've rewritten the code so many times I can't even remember what it was originally like (when it incidentally worked better).

What I am trying to do, is pass a simple form over to a php email script on an external server which validates the form, sends the email (if valid) and returns the user to a success/fail/error page on the original host server.

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
I'm sure looking at the code might enlighten some of you more to what I'm trying to do, no doubt it may just confuse the hell out of most. (I know I am at this point!)

Anyway here it is:

<?php
if(isset($_POST['email'])) {

//grab referal info from POST
$path = explode('/', $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']);
$referer = $path[2];

// EDIT THE 2 LINES BELOW AS REQUIRED
$email_to = "jr@creativeheat.co.uk";
$email_subject = "Website booking inquiry";

$errortype = "";

function died($error) {
// your error code can go here
header( 'Location: http://'.$referer.'/booking/'$error ) ;
echo $error."<br /><br />";
echo "We are very sorry, but there were error(s) found with the form your submitted. ";
echo "These errors appear below.<br /><br />";
echo "Please go back and fix these errors.<br /><br />";
die();
}

//Start by setting the values of the checkboxes
if (isset($_POST['booking_0'])) { $book1 = $_POST['booking_0']; if( $book1 == 'Bedroom(s)') { $book1 = " The Bedroom(s) n"; }}
if (isset($_POST['booking_1'])) { $book2 = $_POST['booking_1']; if( $book2 == 'Meeting Room') { $book2 = " The Meeting Room n";}}
if (isset($_POST['booking_2'])) { $book3 = $_POST['booking_2']; if( $book3 == 'Barn') { $book3 = " The Barn n"; }}
if (isset($_POST['booking_3'])) { $book4 = $_POST['booking_3']; if( $book4 == 'Campsite') { $book4 = " The Campsite n";}}


//then check for an all false
$errortype = "";
$error_message = "";
if (!isset($_POST[booking_0]) && !isset($_POST[booking_1]) && !isset($_POST[booking_2]) && !isset($_POST[booking_3])) {
//redirect to NO BOOKING TYPE SELECTED page
$error_message = 'error';
$errortype = 'bookingerr';
died($errortype) ;
}

//check everything else
$errortype = "";
$error_message = "";
if(!isset($_POST['first_name']) ||
!isset($_POST['last_name']) ||
!isset($_POST['number']) ||
!isset($_POST['email']) ||
!isset($_POST['adults']) ||
!isset($_POST['children']) ||
!isset($_POST['from_date']) ||
!isset($_POST['to_date']) ||
!isset($_POST['disabled']) ||
!isset($_POST['parking']) ||
!isset($_POST['general'])) {
//redirect to GENERAL INVALIDATION page
$error_message = 'error';
$errortype = 'requirederror' ;
// died($errortype) ;
}

$first_name = $_POST['first_name']; // required
$last_name = $_POST['last_name']; // required
$telephone = $_POST['number']; // required
$email_from = $_POST['email']; // required
$adults = $_POST['adults']; // required
$children = $_POST['children']; // required
$fdate = $_POST['from_date']; // required
$tdate = $_POST['to_date']; // required
$disabled = $_POST['disabled']; // not required
$parking = $_POST['parking']; // not required
$comments = $_POST['general']; // not required


$email_exp = "^[A-Z0-9._%-]+@[A-Z0-9.-]+.[A-Z]{2,4}$";
$errortype = "";
$error_message = "";
if(!eregi($email_exp,$email_from)) {
//redirect to INVALID EMAIL page
$error_message = 'error';
$errortype = 'emailinvalid';
// died($errortype) ;
}
$string_exp = "^[a-z .'-]+$";
$errortype = "";
$error_message = "";
if(!eregi($string_exp,$first_name)) {
//redirect to INVALID FIRSTNAME page
$error_message = 'error';
$errortype = 'fnameerror' ;
// died($errortype) ;
}
$errortype = "";
$error_message = "";
if(!eregi($string_exp,$last_name)) {
//redirect to INVALID LASTNAME page
$error_message = 'error';
$errortype = 'lnameerror' ;
// died($errortype) ;
}
$errortype = "";
$error_message = "";
if(strlen($comments) < 2) {
//redirect to INVALID COMMENTS page
$error_message = 'error';
$errortype = 'commentserror' ;
// died($errortype) ;
}
$string_exp = "^[0-9 .-]+$";
$errortype = "";
$error_message = "";
if(!eregi($string_exp,$telephone)) {
//redirect to INVALID TELEPHONE page
$error_message = 'error';
$errortype = 'telephoneerror' ;
// died($errortype) ;
}
if(strlen($error_message) > 0) {
died($errortype) ;
}

$email_message = "Form details below.nn";

function clean_string($string) {
$bad = array("content-type","bcc:","to:","cc:","href");
return str_replace($bad,"",$string);
}

$email_message .= "Name: ".clean_string($first_name)." ".clean_string($last_name)."n";
$email_message .= "Contact number: ".clean_string($telephone)."n";
$email_message .= "Email address: ".clean_string($email_from)."nn";
$email_message .= "Interested in availability of the following: n";
$email_message .= $book1.$book2.$book3.$book4."n";
$email_message .= "Date from: ".clean_string($fdate)."n";
$email_message .= "Date to: ".clean_string($tdate)."nn";
$email_message .= "Number of...n";
$email_message .= "Adults: ".clean_string($adults)."n";
$email_message .= "Children: ".clean_string($children)."nn";
$email_message .= "Disabled? ".clean_string($disabled)."n";
$email_message .= "Parking? ".clean_string($parking)."nn";
$email_message .= "Additional Information: nn";
$email_message .= clean_string($comments);


// create email headers
$headers = 'From: '.$email_from."rn".
'Reply-To: '.$email_from."rn" .
'X-Mailer: PHP/' . phpversion();
@mail($email_to, $email_subject, $email_message, $headers);


//redirect to SUCCESS page
header( 'Location: http://'.$referer.'/booking/success' ) ;

}
?>

The form is here: http://claverhamtrust.squarespace.com/booking/ I have set values for most of the fields to avoid having to retype information every time I submitted the form. The email aspect of this for works perfectly, it is just the error processing and redirect that is broken/poorly written.

Absolutely ANY help on this would be much appreciated. I'm going to continue to try in the mean time though, so if things don't seem to function as you'd expect given the code above it may be because I am changing it live. If I make any progress though, I'll post it here.

Thanks
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
284 Like 12 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Populate drop down list from table??
Lets say for arguments sake that i have a table which contains the numbers 1 to 10.
How can i get

Text to picture Generator
Hello, i have found this script and it works really good^^ But i have one problem, i would like to c

Get last modified date of web page
Hai All,

In php how can i get last modified date of a give web page . I have tried to g

Multiple includes losing variables
Hey all,

just starting out w php and ran into a problem pretty quickly. I'm
including seve

how to insert value
I am having file bookissueadd.php..... in which i am having tag

<td height="21&q

mail with attachment problems
Hi. I have the following code:
Code: else if(file_exists("site".$timp.".zip")

comparing tables across databases sql refinement ideas required
Hi all

Via pl/sql I need to ensure that data between tables in different databases match

Return X values where an ID number doesnt matter
Well as for subject heading, thats the best i could think of.

Currently im having a problem w

very easy question about SQL info
Hello,
I think that I have a very easy question.
I know how to create a form using php SQL and

Undefined index: username HELP NEWBIE
I am trying a simple login/logout for my website. It works well with checking if the username exists

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash