Grouping and sorting results


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Please help with this query.

I have 2 tables in a database, countires and cities. states looks like this

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
countries

id -----------country
1 ------------uk
2 ------------us
3 ------------japan

cities
id ---country ----city
1 ----1 ----------London
2 ----1 ----------Manchester
3 ----2 ----------New York
4 ----2 ----------Washington
5 ----2 ----------San Francisco
6 ----2 ----------Las Vegas
7 ----2 ----------New Orleans
8 ----3 ----------Tokyo


I have queried the database as follows:

///////////////////////// Make the country query //////////////////////////////
$q_country = "SELECT * FROM countries";
$result_country = mysqli_query($dbc, $q_country);
$row_country = mysqli_fetch_array($result_country);

///////////////////////// Make the city query //////////////////////////////
$q_city = "SELECT * FROM cities";
$result_city = mysqli_query($dbc, $q_city);
$row_name = mysqli_fetch_array($result_name);

I want to display the data as follows:

Country - UK
Cities - London, Manchester

Country - US
Cities - New York, Washinton, San Francisco, Las Vegas, New Orleans

Country - Japan
Cities - Tokyo

I'm new to PHP and just can't work it out. Please can somebody point me in the right direction?!!!! PLEASE!!!!!
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
98 Like 7 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

validating url
im trying to validate url's sent to me by a form
the url's im collecting are for placing banners

What are causes of a connection-timeout with fopen()?
Hello! Here is the situation: The server I host my website on just upgraded it's PHP build from 4.4.

How to display objects in a row
I have 7 codes that i want to display in a row one next to another.
The first is {$ads->ad

Fatal error: Call to a member function fetchrow() on a non-object in C:xamppht
okay i have this query and everytime i add `item_id`=? to it... it gives me the error in the title..

Please help with SMTP Authenticated PHP Email Form
Hello, I'm creating a PHP email form, and for this particular server, I have to use SMTP Authenticat

MS Access data into a html table
Hi everyone, I am quite a novice at php but I have created some helpful scripts that fetch data
f

$_POST
Hi, I have 2 seperate php files, and i want my $_POSt["fname"] To go into both of them, Fo

Not capturing all the information we require in the form.......
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if you would share some more of your knowledge today, I'm hoping it

styling a RadioButtonList
HiI need to have a radio button and close to it, its lable, then a space then another set of those.

Using loop to count number of entries
I'm writing a program that must ask user to type in numbers. After each entry, the program has to re

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash