Passing Arguments to execlp()

Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

I'm writing a program that mimics a unix shell. It's supposed to take commands with arguments and execute them. I'm having trouble passing in the arguments into the execlp call to correctly execute the program. Here's the code I have:

Code: // Construct the command argument array char* args[argsEndIndex]; // Array to hold command arguments int i = 0; // Loop counter to loop through command int j = 0; // Loop counter for argument array while (i <= argsEndIndex) { if (i != 0) { args[j] = cmdParts[i]; j++; } i++; } execlp("/bin/ls", "ls", args, NULL);

cmdParts is a char* array that contains the formatted command inputted. I parsed through the command above this code to insert characters so the pointers point to null terminated strings. That's also how I got argsEndIndex. For example I input this command:

Code: ls -a -l

argsEndIndex gets correctly set to 2 because that's the index of the last argument in the command. 0 is obviously the command itself. Now when I make the execlp call I get:

Code: ls: cannot access sH*?vH*?y: No such file or directory

Which I'm assuming it's accessing garbage data somewhere through the args array but I can't figure out why it's doing it because I'm correctly setting each element of the array.

I can post the whole code if you need it but it's long so I tried to keep this short. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
265 Like 5 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Basic Question about Threading and PHP...
I have a page that I am working on and it is taking several hours to process. The basics of what th

Reading waves
Hi,

I am trying to find a way of finding the highs and lows on a graph line, the line points

Adding delete feature to my forum
Hello I am currently trying to add a delete feature to my forum. I believe I have everything built r

Need help: how to catch acess of undefined class properties
Hello. I am learning OO with PHP and have hit a problem.
Some code runs as perfectly valid code,

Display a default image
I am trying to display generic image for items that don't have one, but I can't get it to display.

turning an array into a string then poping it into a db
Hi im just wondering how you get a requested array into a single string then pop it into the db so f

How to generate a text file using php...?
Hi,
Can anyone give me code to generate a text file using php

Thanks in advance

Forms Authentication and Refresh at Login page
Hello, When I try to press the Login button in my webapplication at my login.aspx page nothing h

text box alphanumeric caracters only
hi all!

I have search on google on how to enter in a test box only caracters A-Z,a-z,0-9 usi

How to show a complete textarea ??
I enter Client Case Notes notes in a textarea field on a PHP form. The field is 5 rows deep and 70 c

Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS

Play Free Quiz and Win Cash