Taylor Series Function


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

So I am working a a project for my intro C++ class, and I am having some trouble with a function for approximating exp(x) using a taylor series. The taylor series approximations for exp(x) is: 1+x+((x^2)/2!)+((x^3)/3!+...., and I am supposed to approximate to "n" number of terms.

Thus far, my function is this:

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
double fact(int c) { int factorial=1; for ( int i = 1; i <= c; i++ ) { factorial *=i; } return factorial; } double taylor(double x, int n) { double approx; double sum; double value; for (int i=1; i<=n; i++) { int factorial=1; factorial*=i; sum=((pow(x,i))/fact(i)); value+=sum; } approx = 1+value; return approx;

Now this does work if I just run it by itself, i.e. just do something like "cout << taylor(x,n)". But whenever I call this function within another function, it does not work! It is kinda hard to explain, but anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
197 Like 49 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Typing math
I've added support for typesetting math using LaTeX on the forums.

Example:
Code: [Select]

How to assign a textbox value to PHP variable??
Hi ! Can any one help me out as quickly as possible. As I m new to PHP.
Plz tell me how to assign

How to validate from 2 possible answers
Hi

I hope somebody can help me with what will probably be really simple, I'm pulling my hair

A WBS element with the name XXX already exists in version FREI_VERSION
Hi.
When I am trying to insert WBS element in a project, error occurs:

"A WBS eleme

[function.file]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory
Okay I wrote this little script to upload a csv file that is located on my webhosts server to a mysq

help me, how to find text on an external html site using PHP
Would anyone know how to search an external html file for a work or phrase ?

I was thinking s

paginate search result
Hi, I have a paginations script to display data from my database but i would like to paginate someon

Ajax Error since Upgrading to 3.5
Ever since upgrading my site to .NET 3.5 (I needed LINQ), I've been getting this annoying error on o

Passing variables with pagination - iterating through unique id per link
Hi everyone,
I have seen a few topics like this one. Still cant find the specific thing, so I am

Undefined offset when using a flat file with pipe symbols
Hi, I've got a flat file/text file which I'm currently using as a member database for my site (not a

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash