
The US has announced plans to impose a 50 per cent tariff on goods imported from India. This is the same tariff that US President Donald Trump has already announced.
The US Department of Homeland Security issued a draft notice outlining it. This step is being taken when efforts for a peace agreement between Russia and Ukraine seem to be stalling.
The notice clearly states that this increased tariff will be applicable on Indian products that will be imported for consumption or removed from the warehouse after 12:01 am (Eastern Daylight Time) on August 27, 2025.
Trump announced earlier this month that increase the tariff on Indian goods from 25 per cent to 50 per cent, which is being imposed due to buying oil from Russia. The deadline for America is August 27.
Trump's plan to put pressure on Putin
The US's aim through this tariff is to put pressure on Russian President Vladimir Putin so that he comes to the negotiating table to end the ongoing war against Ukraine.
The US is trying to stop Russia's oil trade, and this tariff on India is part of that strategy. But India has called these so-called secondary tariffs unjust and has announced that it will strongly protect its interests.
The Indian government has made it clear that it will not compromise on its national interests. External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar strongly defended India's energy options on Saturday.
He said that India is being targeted for buying oil from Russia, while no such criticism has been made of big importers like China and European countries. Jaishankar called it a misrepresentation as an "oil dispute" and emphasized India's strategic autonomy.
The interests of farmers and small businessmen first
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday took a tough stand against the tariff of America. Addressing a gathering in Ahmedabad, he said, "For Modi, the interests of farmers, livestock farmers, and small industries are paramount. Pressure may increase on us, but we will endure every difficulty."
He made this statement during the inauguration of several civic projects in the city. In his statement, PM Modi referred to Lord Krishna and Mahatma Gandhi and said that India is empowered by the power of 'Chakradhari' Shri Krishna and 'Charkhadhari' Mahatma Gandhi. He gave the message that India will not bow down to any pressure to protect its interests.
Jaishankar replied to America
External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar also put forth his point on this issue frankly. He said that India will continue to make decisions based on its energy policies and national interests.
Jaishankar stressed that it is wrong to blame India for buying oil from Russia, because other big countries are also doing the same, but no questions are being raised on them. Underlining India's strategic independence, he said that the country will not compromise on its interests.
There has been a major lapse in the security of the Parliament House once again. A person entered
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the three-day joint conference of Armed Forces Comma
The Bengal trio of Mukesh Kumar (4/16), Akash Deep (4/32), and Mohammed Shami (2/14) bowled out J
LIC Share Price Rises After Q1 Results: Stock Trades at ₹390 as MOFSL Sets Bullish Target
Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) shares gained in early trading after the company announ
The Kotdwar incident is escalating. Rahul Gandhi has now weighed in on the matter. He tweeted on
Speculation surrounding the 8th Pay Commission is rapidly gaining momentum among central governme
The Vishwa Hindu Raksha Parishad (World Hindu Protection Council) has become quite vocal regardin
From PAN, FASTag, and LPG prices to railway tickets... What has changed starting today?
Today—April 1, 2026—marks the beginning of the new financial year, and along with it,
Former Indian cricketer and chairman of the Uttar Pradesh Senior Selection Committee, Praveen Kum
Air India’s New Basic Fare Explained: Changes to Meals, Seat Selection and Baggage Rules
Air India has introduced a new ‘Basic Fare’ category for domestic flight passengers,