Doubles are giving me problems


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

Ok so, first of all i made a double = 0.05, but when running the debugger it shows up as 0.04999. I know this has something to do with how doubles store but its causing problems for me. Anyway, in the code I'm trying to get only the right hand side(rhs) of the double variable jdn's decimal point. So in the code example I'm only trying to get .05. But rhs isn't always going to be the same and can have up to 0.00005 <- that fifth one there(can't remember what its called - hundred thousandth?). I have constant numbers right now for the sake of testing this. Now the counter goes through starting at 0.1, to make sure everything after the decimal point is 0. It goes through fine until it gets to 0.0002 - 0.0001 and then rhs = 9.99998e-005.
1
2
3
Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
#include #include #include using namespace std; int main() { double jdn = 2454115.05; double lhs = floor(jdn); double rhs = jdn - lhs; double counter = 0.1; if( rhs != 0.0 ) while( (rhs != 0.000001) || (counter != 0.00001) ) { if( (rhs - counter) <= 0 ) { counter *= 0.1; //cout << "rhs = " << rhs << endl; } else { rhs -= counter; cout << "rhs = " << rhs << endl; } } cout << "ok" << endl; return 0; }
Results:
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
rhs = 0.04 rhs = 0.03 rhs = 0.02 rhs = 0.01 rhs = 0.009 rhs = 0.008 rhs = 0.007 rhs = 0.006 rhs = 0.005 rhs = 0.004 rhs = 0.003 rhs = 0.002 rhs = 0.001 rhs = 0.0009 rhs = 0.0008 rhs = 0.0007 rhs = 0.0006 rhs = 0.0005 rhs = 0.0004 rhs = 0.0003 rhs = 0.0002 rhs = 9.99998e-005
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
120 Like 6 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Basic Forum Tutorial
Hi, I'm new to PHP. I want to build a basic forum for my site using PHP and MySQL. I've searched t

ob_ dynamic content
i was wondering about the potential to use ob to create a <div then remove it when the page

Accept only alpha characters
I've got this bit of code ready for accepting a phrase:

Code: if (!eregi ("", $_POS

Passing PHP variables from one page to another
Hello-

I'm having trouble figuring out how to transport a variable from one php file to anoth

Linking with Foreign Keys
I have been getting an erro when I try and link:

create table Faculty_Specialty (I_Name v

Dealing with code in db query
I am dealing with C code and I need to make sure it is encoded some how to ensure its integrity and

PHP5 - Verifying a secure mail is secure
I need to send an e-mail from a form to a external department and because it contains personal custo

Problem with umlauts and UTF-8
Hello every1,

I'm creating my own little CMS at the moment and got some problems with the cha

Stuck with preg_replace
Hi,

I'm trying to use preg_replace to remove part of the IP address submitted using a form on

Alternate messaging
I have 4 strings in MySQL db1

$string1 : Hello
$string2 : Hi
$string3 : Great
$strin

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash