Setting/Modify Headers using mail() function

Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

I have a question about setting email headers when using mail() in a php script.

When I send an email from an email account set up domain (using, for example, xxx@MyDomain.net) and then view the header in the email that was received by the recipient account, the "Received:" header reads, in part, as follows:

QuoteReceived: from localhost ([xxx.x.x.x] helo=www.MyDomain.net)
by servername.host.com with esmtpa (Exim 4.69)
(envelope-from <xxx@MyDomain.net>)
id xxxxx-xxxxxxx-xx

However, when I send an email using a script that I am working on that uses the mail() function, I set the "From:" and "Return-path" to an email address I have for my domain (YYY@MyDomain.net). When I look at the header in the email that was received by the recipient account, the "Received:" header has my CPanel user name in it - and that kind of makes me nervous (as my host preaches not to disclose that to anyone). In particular, here is what the "Received:" header looks like:

QuoteReceived: from cPanelUserName by servername.host.com with local (Exim 4.69)
(envelope-from YYY@MyDomain.net)
id xxxxx-xxxxxxx-xx; Sat, 21 Nov 2009 21:36:09 -0500

Here is the code snippet I am using to send email and set headers:

Code: //Some additional email headers

$add_headers = 'From: YYY@MyDomain.net' . "rn". "Return-path: YYY@MyDomain.net" . "rn";

mail('XXX@MyDomain.net', $subject , $message , $add_headers, "-f YYY@MyDomain.net");

I have tried to modify the "Received:" header by adding some text to the header via the mail() function (for example, "Received: SOME TEST]"), but it doesn't change the "Received:" header.

Please note, I don't want to make the header fraudulent, but I would prefer not to disclose my cPanel username. I would just like the "Received:" header to resemble the first one quoted above.

I have checked with my host's help desk, they suggested it was not a server issue, but a scripting issue. They suggested I try their scripting forum for assistance. I posted there, but no one there has shed any light on this yet. So, I thought that I would try here.

I tried researching this on the Internet, and thus far I have not found any info on how to successfully modify "Received:" header with mail(). Info I have come across seems to suggest that this is a server issue and not something that can be changed via a script (at least via a script using mail()). If that is the case, I am thinking I should stop looking for a solution using mail(), and take a different approach.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
220 Like 24 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Sum of Values in an Array
This is probably really simple... but it's been years since I've written anything, so bare with me!<

script is pulling more then they have....
I have this script for my game where they can change there race. This will cost them 2,500 points. H

small inaccuracies
I have this code to convert fractional base 10 into base 2:

while($num > 0)

Form help: Syntax & Logic
Hello again all,

I'm working on a form and ran into a wall (again) and can't seem to think th

Limiting uploaded file type
Hi. First post here
I am working on a simple upload script, and I need it to limit the allowed f

Kill a process
I have a question - how can I kill a process from a command line or by using Oracle SQL Developer? I

Inserting the current date/time while submitting the forum
What do I need to add below to update the current date/time? I have a field in the database called d

Tracking Unique Clicks
Hi guys and gals,

Basically I have a database which tracks clicks on my outbound links, I do

filesize() returns 0
I have a socket program that runs in an infinite loop, listening for connections, in this socket I h

list files from folder, only one for each date
I have many files in a folder and wish to only list one of each date

these are the file names

Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS

Play Free Quiz and Win Cash