foreach loop, assistance request


Posted on 16th Feb 2014 07:03 pm by admin

I would like some guidance on the usage of foreach as I try to parse through a large database and whittle down to a few select stocks. I'm currently doing this with vb, but I'm wanting to get it working in php. I think I'm just struggling with the syntax, but I'm unsure. After a week of trial and error, I've decided it's time to reach out for help.

Currently, I can connect with the db, run a simple query, and return the results to a web page. The db is made up of the past 2 weeks' stock symbols, prices, volumes. I want to go through each symbol and check against 2 conditions. If both conditions are true for that symbol, I want to put it (and the 2 weeks of data) in another db for further parsing later. So in plain english, here's what I'm trying to accomplish:

Did you know?Explore Trending and Topic pages for more stories like this.
for each unique symbol,
if condition a is true on every day and
condition b is true on every day, then
write all the data for the past 2 weeks for that symbol to db_x

I'm not sure if it's the most efficient method, but I was thinking I'd loop through the db checking the conditions and meanwhile saving the data to an array, then if the conditions are true when it gets to a different symbol it runs thrrough the array and adds the data to db_x....if it gets a false anywhere along the way for a particular symbol, it clears the array and moves on to the next symbol to check it. I don't want to hard code the 2 week's (ie loop through each stock 10 times, because of holidays, some stocks do not trade every day, etc). I need to check for the symbol changing to know when it's time to make a decision on whether to add or drop the previous symbol.

I've got it loosely structured to use a while loop to cycle through the entire list:
while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) {

Then I suppose the foreach would be used, but I'm running into complex commands that I'm needing guidance on. Is ArrayIterator current to PHP5, and if so, is this the direction I should be studying up on? Any recommendations on a good online tutorial for someone who is not well versed in programming, but can get by through dogged determination (and a little help from my friends )?

It should be noted that my array I'm iterating through (the symbols) has several associated elements (volume, closing price, high, low).

As for providing code, I really don't have anything to go by yet. I have not delved too far past "foreach ($arr as $key => $value). I'm using mysql 5 and php 5 and apache2 on an Ubuntu 9.04 machine.

Thank you,
No comments posted yet

Your Answer:

Login to answer
335 Like 22 Dislike
Previous forums Next forums
Other forums

Optimize Code
Just started getting into the use of cookies. The following code will redirect users to a set URL s

Can't seem to capture a variable in a chained select
I'm *this* close to having a chained select running but for some reason it doesn't seem to be pickin

mysql UNION | warning mysql_fetch_array !!
Code: <?php
$i = 0;
$query1="SELECT * FROM `products` WHERE `div

How to create a static html menu from a database
Hi,

I have built a small cms which allows me to create simple html pages and then upload them

simplexml_load_file and rss problem
Hi,

I have a problem parsing an rss feed using simplexml_load_file - this is strange as i hav

Sorting JTable on more than just the values listed in the columns
I have a collection of objects that store (among other things) two integer values. I only want to di

Struct/union and scope problem!
HI all , I have
Code: in header.h typedef struct Node Link; /* ---------

PHP/Database issue
My friend is helping me make a database where you go to a certain webpage of my site and the page wi

Retrieving Data from Two Different Databases
Hello All,

Ran into another problem and would appreciate some help! I have two datab

PHP search multiple input field box help
I am having a problem with my search script. At current it will simply search by a selected date whi

Sign up to write
Sign up now if you have flare of writing..
Login   |   Register
Follow Us
Indyaspeak @ Facebook Indyaspeak @ Twitter Indyaspeak @ Pinterest RSS



Play Free Quiz and Win Cash